Question:
Best anti-virus program to get?
Primetime
2010-12-25 20:23:20 UTC
im thinking of getting a anti-virus program. but i dont know which one to get
i dont want to spend alot of money on it and then i have to buy it again
if i can buy one and then i can use it like for as long as i like (not like norton)
Seven answers:
2010-12-26 13:21:06 UTC
Just personal opinion of course. I use Avast , I have also got superantispyware and Malwarebytes. I recently changed to Comodo firewall which seems fine and I seem to boot up quicker. They are all free for personal use and I have had no trouble with Viruses Trojans Hackers etc. I also use Windows Defender from the Microsoft site. It is safe to use two anti-spy products but never use more than one A/V as it can cause conflicts. You should run A/V and anti spy weekly.
2010-12-25 20:43:52 UTC
If you want to buy you will have to pay for a sub no matter what you buy. But, If you are going to spend money and have to renew once a year why not get your money's worth? Get Kaspersky internet security. Right now it's kicking AV ***. None of the free AV's can hold a candle to it. None of the other paid can hold a candle to it.

I've use Kaspersky for 7 years straight and to this day have never been hit with anything. The way i see it, If you are going to pay you need the AV to pay for it's self with service. Here it's 50 bucks a year. Which is a lot less than what you will pay when your computer gets infected because you used some inferior AV.

For 7 years Kaspersky internet security has paid for it's self for me. No infections of any kind. You will not get that kind of service from a free AV. You will not get it from Norton or McAfee either.

But if you go with free, If you are a novice user of your computer, It will not be long, Your computer will be infected. It's up to you. Do you want go anywhere on the net security? Or do you want security you can never be sure of. Your choice.

By the way, No paid AV will give you updates forever and pay for it once. How do you expect them to make money to pay the people to write the code that keeps your computer safe if they don't charge every year?

Now watch the thumbs downers give me thumbs down for giving you options and telling you it's your choice.
?
2010-12-26 00:17:04 UTC
There are many different review sites and many different opinions... I recently saw in the current PCWorld Magazine a rating of free antiviruses ... I have to say I think its pretty accurate ... Not sure if they rated AVG... but if it was (the ratings were 1 to 5 ... best to worst) than AVG would be #6 (in otherwards, not even on the list)

1) Avast - I have to say on my 8year old laptop it was really sluggish but on my @ 1 and 1/2 year old Toshiba with Windows7, it is a-ok .... Very Good Detection Too

2) Avira - This is what I have on my old laptop and what I had (Trying Avast on my new Toshiba ATM) on my new PC before trying Avast.... I love Avira and even if I am using Avast ... I still recommend Avira 100% ... Detection only slightly behind Avast ... they deducted "points" for the fact they like Avast's Interface better

3) MS SE - I have to say I dont trust MS, but I have to given in and say all the reviews are very positive .. I dont like how it forces you to have windows updates on "download and install automatically" .. or right out of the "box"/"gate"/whatever .. I had to install 60MB of updates ON top of the I think it was 12MB for the Antivirus itself ... but for newbies that really dont like Avast, or Avira for whatever reason ... It's a decent choice.. with the exception of one test that rated 50% detection and Avira rated 70%, MS SE is on par with Avira Detection wise .... Did MS finally get something right?... They slim down there database and let you change the WIndows Update settings when MS SE is install... I'd say 100% yes

4) Panda - Cant remember too much about this 'review"

5) Comodo's AV - Not as good as any of the others (not counting ... POSSIBLY AVG), but "fair detection"

JUST REMEMBER Spybot (although not as good anyway as it use to be) and Malwarebytes (my #1 "must have" Windows Suggestion) are malware/spyware scanners and not really ment to be full blown antiviruses... just FYI

-Xmetalfanx

PS - for whatever reason if you feel you want to stay away from the good freeware AV's NOD's Eset32 is one of the few I would recommend (non-freeware)
?
2016-12-03 16:10:49 UTC
the main suitable 3 unfastened AV courses are Avast, Avira, and AVG (based upon the effect of distinctive self sufficient testing labs). i latterly reviewed the scores of various self sufficient testing labs and located that Kaspersky and BitDefender are the two top paid AV courses with those 2 swapping backward and forward interior the main suitable 2 slots on the different testing labs. it incredibly is to no longer say that they have got been appreciably greater advantageous than some others, like Norton's. normally, the main suitable names are all interior of two or 3 proportion factors interior the testing consequences.
Fattah Sadreddin
2010-12-25 20:24:56 UTC
Get avira antivirus. It's free for the standard and works a life time. There is a daily update that u can do. Works very well
Bob
2010-12-25 20:45:05 UTC
Microsoft security essentials or AVG Free both are very good and they are free.
2010-12-25 20:24:14 UTC
a mac