Question:
What is the best Anti-virus program?
EAtwins
2009-06-02 08:28:54 UTC
We want to know the name of the best anti-virus program that can protect our computer without problems
Seven answers:
C-bug
2009-06-02 08:37:07 UTC
There is no one BEST program for everyone! Each person's individual computer usage is completely different. Some folks download illegal programs and music, which exposes them to more infections than any other behavior. Some folks only read their email and do some light surfing.

Because usage is different, the appropriate software is different for everyone.

Here is a list of free programs that do their job well, for various security tasks. Most of the time, several programs are necessary to maintain a full range of security/protection against viruses, trojans, worms, etc.

There is a safe site, with software reviews by both the editors and users at www.download.com Most of the following programs can be downloaded from there.

ANTI-VIRUS:

-AVG by Grisoft

-Avira

-Avast

Any *one* of these would probably work well for you! Read the reviews to be sure.

ANTI-SPYWARE:

Since NONE of the anti-spyware/anti-adware programs are 100 percent accurate in finding and removing spyware, you need *at least* two programs which you will run one after the other, not at the same time.

There are several excellent free ones:

-Spybot, Search and Destroy

-Ad-Aware

-Spyware Blaster

-Superantispyware

-Malwarebytes

FIREWALL:

-Comodo

-Online Armor

-SandBoxie

-Sunbelt Personal Firewall (formerly Kerio)

-Zone Alarm

GENERAL CLEANING:

-Ccleaner

HTH!
2009-06-02 09:27:05 UTC
I have used Zone Alarm Firewall, I have also got superantispyware and Malwarebytes. They are all free for personal use and I have had no trouble with Viruses Trojans Hackers etc. I have just changed to Avast antivirus and all seems good so far. Zone Alarm allows a lot of personal configuration unlike the Windows Firewall. They can all be downloaded from http://www.download.com/ I also use Windows Defender from the Microsoft site. It is safe to use two anti-spy products but never use more than one A/V as it can cause conflicts. You should run A/V and anti spy weekly. Hope this helps
2009-06-02 17:13:40 UTC
Most popular free antivirus programs are AVG Anti-Virus, Avira AntiVir , Avast etc. Check out http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-sAFtLsc8erIoh.ENhksr2KyG for more details.
2009-06-02 08:38:15 UTC
I believe a mix of the leading products (Avira, Avast, Nod32, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, Malwarebytes, AdAware, SpuBot) are good solutions whether you buy them or get the FREE versions. The core engines of these products take care of viruses, adware or spyware or malware exceptionally well. You just have to pick which ones do what...

FIRST, for ANTI-VIRUS, I would recommend Avira which is FREE: Avira Antivir Personal: http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html

A good BUY anti-virus/anti-malware product is Kaspersky: http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security/3000-2239_4-10012072.html

You can also try, for FREE, Avast as an alternative anti-virus solution:

Avast 4 Home: http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Avira's Antivir has a detection rate of over 99%, includes "root-kit" protection, and uses less system resources. Avast detection rate is around 97.8% and includes "root-kit" protection. Avast Anti-Virus is good if people suggest that, Avira is just slightly better.

Kaspersky, Nod32, McAfee and Norton are high up on the same list with Avira, Avast, etc…) You could try AVG, but AVG’s detection rate is less than 85% for Script Malware and General Malware, and does NOT include "root-kit" protection in the FREE version…

Here's a good report (Feb 2009) on many of the top AV (anti-virus) products.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

Avira came out as one of the top AV products in the testing. AVG was not nearly as high mainly due to AVG NOT detecting a lot of Script Malware and General Malware problems in the tests, plus, slower scan speeds and a higher number of "false positives".

SECOND, also make sure you have the right mix of product(s) so you have BOTH

ANTI-VIRUS AND ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE software running on your computer.

A good FREE mix could be Avira and Malwarebytes, with McAfee Site Advisor (FREE) installed as well. Avira Antivir Personal: http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html - Malwarebytes - http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Or, a good BUY/FREE mix could be Kaspersky and AdAware (or Malwarebytes), with McAfee Site Advisor.

Kaspersky: http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security/3000-2239_4-10012072.html

Ad-Aware - http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html

Hopefully, you get my main points of core features AND the mix of solutions. You just have to get those 2 things right and you're covered!
person x
2009-06-02 08:48:08 UTC
AVG free is good,take a look at this page and see more protection tools :

http://www.downloadanysoftware.com/protection_software_01.php
prachi
2009-06-02 08:35:30 UTC
As per my recommendation,'AVAST'..is the best one.I am enjoying using it and believe me it really works.
Soild Snake Nour
2009-06-02 08:42:40 UTC
ESET NOD32