Question:
How can I open my PC as I forgot its startup password?
debashis g
2009-08-06 08:03:36 UTC
I have set administrator password in my PC, But right now I forgot it,so I can't able to open windows.Without formatting how can I remove or change my password?
Nine answers:
Optmist
2009-08-07 09:10:12 UTC
Try this if and only iff you are good enough to operate your PC in right direction, otherwise NO!

"How to recover a lost xp password"

These techniques to recover a lost xp password are among the more advanced Windows XP Tips and Tricks. In some cases, recovering from a lost password can be very easy though.

For completeness' sake we start with the simplest tips that can help you regain access to a locked account. But even if you find yourself in a more complex situation, please read on. You'll find out what to do.

Warning : Be extra careful if you are using Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows XP Professional. If you don't know what EFS is, you probably shouldn't worry about it. It's a feature in Windows XP Professional that deals with file security on a local level. If you do use it, please always make sure to export your private and public keys before attempting to reset your password.

If you can login with another user account

If you share your computer with other users it's fairly simple to regain access to your account. You could ask one of the other users to log on to Windows with their password and perform the following steps :

* Click the Start button

* Click "Run"

* In the "Open" field, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes)

* Click ok

Windows opens a user accounts dialog. Select the user with the lost password and click the "Reset Password" button. Enter a new password (and a second time in the confirmation box) and click ok. Click ok once again and you are ready.

Now you can log on to your account using the new password.

"More advanced password recovery"

If there are no other users on your machine to unlock your account, you need to reset your password "offline". Offline means that you boot your pc from outside your usual Windows XP environment using a boot disk or a bootable cdrom.

This offline technique to recover a lost xp password isn't for the faint of heart; the procedure isn't presented in a nice graphical interface and there even is a small risk involved ...

Sometimes the password reset fails and as a consequence you cannot log on with the locked user account afterwards. This doesn't happen often though, and if you are reading this because you need to recover a lost xp password ...

you weren't able to log on after all ...

Of course you will need access to another pc to create a boot disk or bootable cd.

"Is your boot sequence right ?"

Your computer's boot sequence is set in the BIOS and determines if the pc can boot from a floppy or cdrom. To get into the BIOS, you typically need to press a certain key or key combination during startup. Depending on the brand of your computer this can be :

* The F1 key

* The F2 key

* The F10 key

* The del key

* Ctrl+Alt+Enter

* Ctrl+Alt+Esc

If you have made your way into the BIOS, now would the time to choose either your floppy drive or your cdrom as primary startup device.

Below is a BIOS boot sequence screenshot where the floppy drive has top priority.

"Creating the boot disk"

You can download an offline password and registry editor to create the bootable disk at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ or if this url has become invalid over time, you can request your copy with the small form below. You will receive a mail with a valid download link shortly afterwards.

Don't worry, we will use your email address only to send you the download link, not for anything else. We hate spammers as much as you do.

take care and have a nice time
?
2009-08-10 00:34:17 UTC
Hi,forgot or lost windows password? don't worry.

1.log on a computer that is linked to internet.

2. Free download windows password unlocker from http://www.passwordunlocker.com/products/wpu.html

3.Burn the downloaded .ISO file onto a blank CD

4.Insert newly created CD into the locked computer and then reboot it

5.select the account you wanna reset the password.

Just above steps, your problem will be solved with great ease. many of my friends have used this method, which solved their puzzle
2009-08-06 19:00:54 UTC
try http://www.resetwindowspassword.com/

it is the recommend recovery tool by http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/prem-windows-password-recovery.htm
colintd
2009-08-06 08:31:31 UTC
if it is XP. open in safe mode at the DOS prompt. look for and delete all *.pwl files in c:\windows
Manoj
2009-08-06 08:25:44 UTC
Turn ON the computer by pressing the enter key if it doesn't work press the f9 key and u will see different modes click to safe mode after that again u will see other modes then click to safe networking mode. When you get logged on go to control panel and click ur account and click remove password. hope it will help u.
?
2009-08-06 08:16:55 UTC
here we go:

1st Method:

The first thing which you check if you forget login password. When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account “Administrator” and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget your user account password then try this:

Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ++ keys twice and it’ll show Classic Login box. Now type “Administrator” (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from “Control Panel -> User Accounts“.

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

====================

2nd Method:

Windows XP and further versions also provide another method to recover forgotten password by using “Reset Disk“. If you created a Password Reset Disk in past, you can use that disk to reset the password. To know more about it, please visit following links:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306214)

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321305)

====================

3rd Method:

If the above mentioned tricks doesnt work, then try following trick which is actually a loophole in Windows XP Setup and a big security hole:

A. Boot using Windows XP Setup CD and follow the instruction like Accepting EULA, etc.

B. When it asks to repair your existing Windows installation, accept it and press “R” to run the repair.

C. Setup will start repairing your Windows and will start copying files, etc.

D. After a few minutes setup will restart your system and when it restarts don’t press any key when it shows “Press any key to continue…” otherwise Setup will start from the beginning. Don’t press any key and setup will resume where it left.

E. Now it’ll start doing other tasks and will show a small progressbar with a few details in left side.

F. Look carefully at the details and when it shows “Installing devices“, press +F10 keys in your keyboard.

G. It’ll open a Command Prompt window. Now type nusrmgr.cpl and press .

H. It’ll open the same “User Accounts” window which you see in Control Panel.

I. Now you can remove or reset any account password without any problem.
Troll
2009-08-06 08:10:21 UTC
When the select user screen appears, press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] and a screen with administrator log in appears.The ID is "Administrator" without quotes "" and no password.After you write the ID press ok and you will be logged into Windows as an Admin.

Now, Control Panel>Users>Change account>Select your user>Change Password;Now reboot and log in as your user.

Hope it helps!
?
2009-08-06 08:09:11 UTC
Try this: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Download the live CD image and burn it to a CD.

Boot your computer from the CD.

With a bit of luck it will display your account passwords.
?
2009-08-06 08:07:59 UTC
ophcrack info here