Question:
Virus affects computer (and internet) but not email?
Kai
2009-12-23 15:58:11 UTC
My friend's computer was infected by a virus that won't allow him to open internet or Microsoft Word, etc (basically, the computer is useless). Fortunately, he is still able to access his email from a safe computer. There is no virus detected in his email. Question, how can we get rid of the virus that is plaguing the infected computer?

Windows LiveOne Care instructs us to download the complete anti-virus program, but we can't do that since the infected computer's internet is down. If we buy an anti-viral software from a software store, would we be able to install it successfully and delete the virus? Should we bring the computer to the store? Sadly, we didn't buy it in this country...(it's a few years old too).
Five answers:
2009-12-23 16:02:11 UTC
No, his online content shouldn't be affected.

Boot into safemode with networking (F7/F8 at startup)

then go to download.com and install malwarebytes & Spybot Search & Destroy.

Update - Full scan - Fix Problem

Note: if you don't have Safemode with networking, then you have two other options:

-Go into normal safemode, and transfer the programs through USB from another pc.

-startup normal. Start - Run - taskmgr.exe - processes - close some of the obvious unwanted things. Until you can get online and do the things above.

If you can get on MSN, then I could do it for you~

Doesn't work? Format your computer with a bootable cd.

( If you don't have one, then obtain one or burn Ubuntu mint - its free)
Greyolddave
2009-12-23 16:09:12 UTC
A web email will not be affected by a computer virus (unless it gets the passwords). AV programs like Norton will install from a CD and will work well to get rid of the virus(s). Last time I had to do that for a family member Norton found some 70 viruses. Took hours to find them all and remove them. Adaware, the free version from www.lavasoft.com also found some 250 adwares too.

Also, most computer stores have a repair group that will happily install the AV program and remove all viruses, but for a price.
2016-10-15 09:42:41 UTC
i don't choose 10 factors. Norton is fantastic, yet particularly not the terrific antivirus for laptop. Viruses can do many stuff from merely being stressful, to logging all the suggestion you form into your laptop (emails, banking, on line purchases). or merely provide you popups with hyperlinks to acquire extra viruses that could do much extra harm. in my opinion I reccomend Avast antivirus, that's loose for a complete 365 days. some viruses might desire to reason your laptop to alter into so corrupted which you would be able to not be waiting to apply it. look at avast, yet once you sense extra mushy procuring some thing, bitdefender has been rated #a million (back) in all areas.
2009-12-23 16:04:34 UTC
Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and Download Malwarebytes setup file from a safe computer. Then put it on a flash drive and put it on the infected computer. Run the setup file, then remove virus. Otherwise, you could try getting AVG Antivirus Free Edition and download the setup file on a safe computer, put it on a flash drive, and running setup on infected computer.
kool43bz
2009-12-23 16:05:52 UTC
it depends on how bad his computer is but you could try both of these ideals if you like, get a flashdrive and install a antivirus program on it then try to install on the bad computer or go to the avira antivirus website then download their rescue cd burn it to a disk and try to run that on the bad computer,it comes with its own burner its easy and fast. good luck