Question:
How do I protect myself from a computer virus that I create?
2016-05-11 08:12:52 UTC
You should know that I am making this virus to send as a reply to email scammers
How can I test it without running it?
How do I compress it into a file without it affecting my computer?
What are some specific steps that I should take to make sure that I am not affected?
Just proper handling procedures for dangerous files?
Six answers:
ajo
2016-05-12 17:22:25 UTC
You can test it in a sandboxed environment. Using software like VMware or other virtual machine software. Then install the operating system onto the VM. It's basically a computer (a virtual machine) running inside a real computer. There are no guarantees but it can and does help.
Adrian
2016-05-11 09:01:00 UTC
Run it in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare. After it runs and is tested, you can delete the image and start with a fresh one.

And yes, you may end up going to jail for it if caught. You cannot send viruses to spammers/email scammers, as they never read any reply emails. Email is easy to fake, and the reply address may in fact be someone else's, not the scammers. You would be sending a virus to an innocent victim.
2016-05-11 08:20:51 UTC
Send it to a dummy email or thumb drive, test it on a computer you don't mind wiping or reformatting. How can you create a virus, but not know this method?
2016-05-31 14:58:18 UTC
It doesn't matter if they are Nigerian scammers or the first wave of the Klingon Empire's invasion. If you unleash a virus onto the Internet, you are breaking State, federal, and International laws by the boatload. And when the 3-letter men knock on your door, they're really not going to care what your reasons were.
2016-05-11 09:20:58 UTC
don't run it. a virus only works if you run it.

you need a test computer that is disposable.
Dave
2016-05-11 08:14:07 UTC
You should know that what you are doing is illegal and could land your dumb *** in hot water. Just ignore email scammers.