Question:
What is a network key and where do I find it?
Norah B
2010-09-13 09:07:27 UTC
Trying to link up another computer and it is asking for the network key. I have tried putting in my password but it is not getting me anywhere!
Six answers:
Rob K
2010-09-13 23:20:51 UTC
The NETWORK KEY is a special password for wireless routers.

The SSID is a name, usually broadcast to wireless computers, so you know which network to connect to. Sometimes your neighbours' networks will be picked up as well.

When you ask to join the network, the computer will ask you for the Network Key. It's usually a stream of letters and numbers and it acts like a PIN number.

People will be able to see the SSID but they cannot use your wireless connection unless they have the Network Key as well.

On my Sky router, it's written on a label on the side.

If there is no label, you may need to find it by accessing the router using a computer already attached to the router.

Generally, typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in to the web address part of your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox, etc.) will access the router but it might be different for some routers.

You need to enter a username and password, This is usually the word admin for both or admin and password respectively.

Under Wireless Settings or Wireless Set Up on the screen, there will be a box marked 'Network Key' and a stream of characters (can be in capital letters). You may be able to change this if you think someone knows the key, but it will have to be changed on every computer that originally connected to it. Like changing your PIN number or your computer password.

Hope this helps.
John
2010-09-13 09:33:15 UTC
If it's not accepting the password and you are sure it is correct. Are you sure you are trying to connect to the right router? Also you can find the network key in your routers config page. You can get to it by typing 192.168.X.X (replace the "X's" with the ones from your routers manual) in the address bar of your internet browser. From the computer that is actually connected to the router. The key will be in the wireless section of the config page.
?
2010-09-13 09:11:22 UTC
A network key is a password or key you need to access your network:P

you can find your network key on your router or modem. on top of it or on the bottom or on the side

hope i helped:)
?
2010-09-13 10:41:48 UTC
The network key is the router ssid. You could find that on a box that came with the modem or it might be on the modem somewhere. Just check.
derbydolphin
2010-09-13 09:09:11 UTC
it is the network password which is associated with the particular router running the network
?
2010-09-13 09:10:31 UTC
try this:-

.