Question:
Does anyone know what's wrong with my computer?
Louis Bradford
2011-07-18 18:48:43 UTC
My internet has always worked fine until recently. It has been having issues with going to the right place. So for example I go to my google search bar and lets say I search for "Youtube" then I click the first link and it will start to load but when the page finishes loading it at some stupid either dating site or a like a page that has a list of links that are related to my search keywords. But if instead of clicking the link bar and copy the address to the link into my google search bar then it will take me to the link. Now if I switch to a different search engine it will do the same thing and im not sure why its doing this. I have tried running a full and quick scan with my anti-virus (norton) and it found some problems and resolved them. I was told I have malware so I got malware bytes and it scanned, found things and removed them but the problem continued But if I open up the malware thing and try searching it will say internet explorer cannot display the page and will continue unless I close malware then it will take me to some stupid site. Another problem is at random (usually once a day) my internet will stop working and the only way to get it to work again is to restart the computer and Im not sure why. Little Help?
Three answers:
2011-07-18 18:57:02 UTC
Sounds like your computer may be infected with the TDSS rootkit infection (AKA Google Redirect Virus) which usually cannot be detected with ordinary anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware softwares.

Removal info from BleepingComputer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Removal Tool from Kaspersky Labs:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Note: Some variants of this infection will block access to the above sites.

Note 2: There is a very new version of TDSS called TDL-4 which can be more difficult to remove.: If you suspect TDL-4 (Rootkit.MBR.TDSS), BitDefender now has the info and a free removal tool:

http://www.bitdefender.com/news/bitdefender-releases-free-removal-tool-for-tdl4-2150.html
Victor
2011-07-18 18:56:29 UTC
well it seems to me your computer is just acting up a technician would recommend trying a system restore to a early point in which your computer worked fine if this doesn't fix your connection problem or any of the others then try a factory restore where your computer restores to when you first bought it since i'm not sure what manufacturer you have you will have to contact your company to ask them or just Google it there are instructions online but if your computer wont let you do that just add in the description what your manufacturer is and i will give you the Canadian and us phone number or just tell me what country your in.
Hugh
2011-07-18 18:51:22 UTC
You have some version of the Google re-direct virus.

Start here.

http://www.review-buddy.com/spyware-removers/how-to-remove-google-redirect-virus.html