Question:
I forgot my password to sign onto Windows, is there any way to retrieve the files I have on my computer?
allisoncooke
2006-01-17 10:14:33 UTC
I have an old computer that has lots of old pictures on it. I'd like to get those pictures back, but I haven't used the computer in so long I forgot the password.
Three answers:
universal
2006-01-17 10:21:54 UTC
take out your HDD and connect it to another PC;

or

go to safemode and try to log on, you may not need a password.

(to go to safemode you will need to press F8 when you start your computer)
calcio_man
2006-01-17 11:18:39 UTC
If the copy of Windows XP you own on that laptop is OEM version (meaning you did not install retail version by yourself), you can break into yours system easily.

For certain manufacturers, such as Dell and Toshiba, it is quite easy. You press Ctrl-Alt-Delete in the login screen, and type in Administrator for user name, and press enter. Most OEM copies have the blank password for Administrator, so you can break in through there and change your password under Control Panel.

Alternatively, if you have Sony Vaio, you need to boot in the safe mode in order to access the Administrator account... and once you are in, you can change your password to your own personal account.

There are Linux programs out there that will erase/reset the password for you, and it is CD or floppy bootable. http://www.nttoolbox.com/public/tools/LinNT.zip Linux Boot Diskette for NTFS, resets the Administrator Password. Use rawrite.exe (included) to make the floppy from the .bin file NOTE: May not work with SYSKEY. (1.4M) NEW! Updated .bin file located here: http://www.nttoolbox.com/public/tools/bd990404.zip

Lastly, you can get Bart's PEBuilder, and copy all the SAM files into a USB disk, and go to another machine .. and use password crakers like LC5 (http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/), and crack your password in a couple hours..
T&T
2006-01-17 10:16:09 UTC
Ususally if you hit cancel you can gain access