Question:
what is the best site to download free virus protection?
Claire R
2007-06-29 10:17:33 UTC
what is the best site to download free virus protection?
Seventeen answers:
C-Man
2007-06-29 10:24:58 UTC
AVG Free is very popular, but has average protection. Avast and Active Virus Shield are better at detecting threats.

http://www.download.com is the best single site for all sorts of free software- antivirus, anti-spyware, utility etc,
2007-06-29 12:32:53 UTC
have used AVG Anti Virus, Zone Alarm Firewall, Spy-bot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware both spyware killers for years. They are all free for personal use and I have had no trouble with Viruses Trojans etc. AVG does not slow the system down as much as some other products and Zone Alarm allows a lot of personal configuration unlike the Windows Firewall. They can all be downloaded from the following link. http://www.computeractive.co.uk/... On the home page select downloads and then the appropriate category.I also use Windows Defender from the Microsoft site. It is safe to use two anti-spy products but never use more than one A/V as it can cause conflicts. You should run A/V and anti spy weekly. Hope this helps.
Cher
2007-06-29 12:21:50 UTC
If you are looking only for free anti virus software, then AVG is the best one. But AVG and other free softwares do not provide a real time protection. So it is better to opt a paid version and stay away from viruses.
masterblaster
2007-06-29 15:49:36 UTC
First of all, a word about "real time protection". It is known by other names such as background guard, resident shield, autoprotect, and other synonyms and refers to the automatic protection provided by most antivirus, anti-spyware, and other anti-malware programs, which is arguably their most important feature.

They monitor computer systems for suspicious activity such as computer viruses , spyware, adware, and other malicious objects in 'real-time', in other words while the data is coming into the computer (for example when inserting a CD, opening an email, or surfing the web).

In contrast to what some of your answerers have said, AVG Free edition from Grisoft.com incorporates "real-time" scanning in its resident shield and is very efficient in its detection and removal of trojans, viruses and other nasty "bugs". I have used AVG Free edition for a long time and also Symantec Antivirus which is a very good commercial programme and I must say AVG rates very highly in comparison.

Of course no antivirus program is 100% accurate - you still need a good firewall and possibly a good malware scanner as well but I would go for AVG.

You can download it here: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
gerald_309
2007-06-29 11:44:14 UTC
You do understand that paid subscription antivirus activates real time protection and that free versions do not have this, correct ?

Here is why that is important to know as only one example:

--------------------------------//-

Security Software Disabler Trojan

http://inews.webopedia.com/TERM/S/security_software_disabler_Trojan.html

"A type of Trojan horse designed stop or kill security programs such as an antivirus program or firewall without the user knowing. This Trojan type is normally combined with another type of Trojan as a payload."

Protecting against Dangerous computer worms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_worm#Protecting_against_Dangerous_computer_worms

Worms mainly spread by exploiting vulnerabilities in operating systems, or by tricking users to assist them.

All vendors supply regular security updates[8] (see "Patch Tuesday"), and if these are installed to a machine then the majority of worms are unable to spread to it. If a vendor acknowledges a vulnerability but has yet to release a security update to patch it, a zero day exploit is possible. However, these are relatively rare. Users need to be wary of opening unexpected email, and should not run attached files or programs, or visit web sites that are linked to such emails. However, as the ILOVEYOU worm showed, and as phishing attacks become more efficient, tricking users will always be possible. Anti-virus and anti-spyware software are helpful, but must be kept up-to-date with new pattern files at least every few days.

---------------------//-

So that in short as terms as can be used - in other words without paid subscription antivirus protection any trojan, virus, or worm can infect your computer as it wants to. Worms are the worst which can delete all files including the Windows Operating system. The example of the trojan above can waltz in anytime and turn off your AVG Free or any free version of antivirus and free antispyware programs. You do understand this correct ?

My advice is if we were having this conversation about 6 years ago - you would still be getting called a fool to think you can get buy without active protection. Of course today it is computer suicide not to be protected - you do unsderstand that don't you ?

I have one more fact to share with you the "free crowd" seems to always forget..... Do you remember signing up with your ISP and clicking "Agree" ? Do you remember vaguely that it is illegal to transmit a virus or similar destructive malware ? Did or do you remember that you can receive sanctions if your computer is sending out malware infection ?

Just wanted to hit you with the cold water splash face. Sometimes the most basics are forgotten. Everyone is legally bound as responsible for any virus transmitted from their computer and any damage it causes in the USA and other countries.

I strongly recommend you cut this out and buy antivirus protection immedaitely like a good community member as a computer owner/operator.

webmaster htttp://www.bluecollarpc.net

(sometimes ruff talk is all one hears, but gets the same result)
2007-07-03 04:03:07 UTC
Hi Brother: Use this software "Scanspyware" for ur best pc protection....its realy work im using it for 6 month..im impressed! and thats why my system always remain clean and clearr , website: http://www.scanspyware.net/ but that not a free ..u need to buy first! listen free wares are not capable to remove 100% infection from ur pc even it shows message of complete removal but not in real.and always understand that there is nothing free in this world! i hope u will get ur solution from this Antispyware.
Sly_Old_Mole
2007-06-29 11:21:20 UTC
Better than AVG - its AVS:

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp

In fact its the best free AV
?
2016-10-19 08:19:43 UTC
attempt Micro tendencies Its Gonna Pop up a german get carry of web site faucet abode keep deciding on loose test. the element to do first to velocity it up is sparkling and defrag then pass there so open kit delete cookies delete background then delete documents on and rancid line then pass to yahoo antispy try this then open device kit and do thedefrag. then create a restore factor. then pass to micro tendencies and do the loose scans . i understand thats ponderous yet whilst your connection fizzles you are able to bounce back to that factor and characteristic a sparkling scene
Linda N
2015-09-15 09:45:25 UTC
what is the best virus protection for my apple ipad and iphone
Roger H
2007-07-02 07:20:28 UTC
AVG it's Free
onlyfor7dollar
2007-06-29 10:22:14 UTC
firewall

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

anti virus

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

and of couse the free adaware se

http://www.tucows.com/preview/23604
2007-06-29 10:27:33 UTC
I have AVG. I've had it for almost a year and have never had a problem.
ALI .
2007-06-29 10:26:05 UTC
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0

and here the link to download free edition

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0?prd=ish
2007-06-29 10:24:38 UTC
i would have to agree the AVG is the best - gives daily updates as well www.grisoft.com
whisper14623
2007-06-29 10:34:59 UTC
http://www.free-av.com/

This is the one I use on all my PC's... works great updates itself and is free!!!
jamand
2007-06-29 10:20:35 UTC
http://www.grisoft.com

AVG FREE EDITION