Question:
Which internet security suite should I buy?
2011-05-02 00:27:43 UTC
I do almost all my banking online. I have been using Avast! Internet Security to protect myself from online crime but I lost all my faith in the program when SpyBot Search and Destroy found malware on my family's computer that could have resulted in thousands of dollars being stolen from me. So I am shopping for a new internet security suite; the problem is that there are so many to choose from. Mainstream websites like CNET and PCMag are championing Norton while all other websites seem to have differing opinions on which security suite is the best - Norton ranks in the middle on these websites and the only common denominator seems to be that Kaspersky is "also a good choice". I read rave reviews about Comodo's firewall software and I am seriously considering their security suite. Any advice?

P.S. Has anyone used Safe Central? Does it work?
Nine answers:
2011-05-02 00:32:34 UTC
There are no "perfect" anti-virus software regardless of how much you pay. "Avast" and "Avira" have one of the highest "detection rates"; better than Norton. You also need to remember that a particular company known for its anti-virus function may not have a good firewall function in its Internet Security Suite, for example. And, what happened with "Avast! Internet Security" may happen to any other Internet Security Suites, because there are no perfect security software. Here is my recommendation:

❶ Install on the three below in concurrent with "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Edition" (MBAM):

▪ Avira AntiVir Personal (Free Antivirus): http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

▪ Avast! Free Antivirus 6: http://www.avast.com/en-au/free-antivirus-download

▪ Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE): http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Once you run a scan with one of the three you had decided to install, run a scan with MBAM afterwards, which will allow you to improve the detection rate.

❷ Along with step 1, use password management software, such as "StickPassword" to store all your online backing information, such as your account number and passwords. This software will keep everything encrypted and you just enter your "master password", which will automatically fill in the password and sign you in.

❸ If you want to purchase an "Internet Security Suite", these are very popular:

▪ ESET Smart Security 4

▪ Avira Premium Security Suite

▪ Norton Internet Security 2011

▪ Kspersky Internet Security 2011

Useful links:

▪ Read my answer in this link: https://answersrip.com/question/index?qid=20110430142936AA8HDUK Read through everything. I said to avoid spending money on Internet Security Suites, because I have several computers at home and haven't had a single virus. If you have kids (who are not aware of surfing the Web safely) and/or an Internet Security Suite really gives you that piece of mind, then you should totally go for it.

▪ http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test

▪ http://www.av-test.org/

▪ http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

▪ http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

▬▬ Edit ▬▬

Go with anything in step 3 along with step 2. You should still run a scan with "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Edition" after you run a regular scan with your Internet Security Suite.
Jessica
2016-08-21 03:07:24 UTC
2
2011-05-02 00:47:34 UTC
The fact is, that there isn't any one security program that can protect you from all the malware on the internet. The choice of which security system is the best will be impossible to answer. The situation that you ran into with Avast can happen to any other security software as well.

That being said, you can only choose one security program with real time protection and hope it works for you most of the time. You can only do so much to protect yourself. I suggest using 4 security programs to get the best protection possible on your machine.

Use the Windows Firewall. Automate your Microsoft updates. Use a good security program with real time protection like Microsoft Security Essentials or the paid version of Malwarebytes or Superantispyware. (Just be sure to activate this feature after purchasing the program. And finally, use software to keep your third party programs patched and updated like Secunia. ( http://goo.gl/q1a9c )
Zero
2011-05-02 00:47:56 UTC
Before reading the body to your question, I was going to say Norton Internet security and if not Kaspersky but it looks you beat me to the punch. It is definitely not advised to have spybot installed with Norton though cause Norton covers the areas that spybot does. Which means Norton may (a) think its another virus or (b) may not allow Norton to do its job. Just a heads up for Norton if decided.....Not sure about safe central, though it seems the more you pay for a anti virus, the more quality you will receive back. "You get what you pay for" on this subject I believe.
danilo t
2011-05-02 00:44:37 UTC
one of the recent reviews rated comodo internet security as the best in overall protection for consecutive periods last year. avast is very good as an antivirus however i myself wouldnt give in to security suites. id rather not place my eggs in one basket. If you really are into security suites, comodo internet security could be the best bet if you believe the av comparatives survey and tests. however, if i were you, i would still add keyscrambler to encrypt my keyboard inputs + spyshelter free or premium / or zemana antilogger because of the fact that you do online banking.

Be it a security suite or a combination of 1 antivirus / antimalware/spyware program(s) and a very good firewall, i will still add up keyscrambler and spyshelter if i were you

ADDTL:

an internet suite maybe very good in its av function such as avast or kaspersky but their firewall function is not the best out there, comodo on the other hand is well known for its firewall but not with its antivirus function. just like one of the answerer puts it, theres no perfect antivirus or security suite for that matter so it will boil down to your choice of a complete security suite or a combination of programs but again, add keyscrambler + an antispyware/antikeylogger like zemana or spyshelter
Maura
2016-02-26 02:47:10 UTC
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite is the best. Goes beyond traditional PC firewalls to protect your entire PC from hackers, spyware, and other Internet threats. * Blocks hackers from gaining access to your computer * Automatically makes your computer invisible to anyone on the Internet * Prevents spyware from sending your personal information across the Internet * Protects your programs and operating system from malware. Updates, scans, and removes spyware, viruses, and worms in a single, powerful operation. * Automatically removes the most dangerous and useless spyware and viruses for you * "Clears" legitimate monitoring software (such as cookies for Web sites you use frequently) so it doesn't get picked up in every spyware scan Hope I answered your query.
2011-05-02 00:53:32 UTC
-You get : Anti-virus, Firewall, Identity Protection, Vulnerabilities protection, Spyware Protection, Anti-Spam and Web-Make pleased Control and some backup functions

- You get the business version of Panda which is more professional and doesn’t bug you all the time with unnecessary ads like Norton does.

-Well known brand and gets updated often

- Full Tech support
Mark
2011-05-02 03:06:52 UTC
sorry i love gdata internet security 2011 , i also have free malwarebytes and sometimes i get some rogue but can kill it

http://www.gdata-software.com/home-security/internetsecurity-2011/

or this

http://www.coranti.com/

remember nothing is perfect - it is where you go and what you do ; but all full blown i/sec suites lack in malware protection

life savers

kaspersky rescue disc

kaspersky virus removal tool , dr.web cureit

tdsskiller

rkiller

and most of all just plain commonsense
2011-05-02 00:35:15 UTC
Anything but norton or avg internet security. spybot is actually a very useless program. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2261193,00.asp

try kasperksy internet security,eset nod32, or adaware internet security

if you are worried that youre current internet security suite wont detect all the malware. then install (malwarebytes pro or superantispyware pro)

use hitman pro as a second opinion scanner its very effective.. -> http://www.surfright.nl/en